From: Mural Workshops /
Mural Workshop in Woden – Canberra
This mural workshop was in collaboration with Transport Canberra and City Services. The mural site was at Woden Town Square using the recently boarded Lovett Tower.
The boarding was facing the internal square in Woden and was a main thoroughfare for the public. It was slowly becoming vandalised so creating a colorful and community embracing mural was a good alternative.
As a part of me painting the mural there where five mural workshops integrated into the project as well.
My mural workshop responsibility was to complete a 25m long by 3m high mural within a week while also running a number of mural workshops with various youth groups.
The outcome for the mural was to engage and collaborate with youth organisations and have the mural activate the area in a positive way for all the community.
The mural workshops consisted of:
- 7-15 students per session
- Sessions would run for about 2.5 hours, this allows for breaks and also can have the option for people to stay on if they wish with supervision
- Basic mural painting techniques with a brush may include some aerosol can work but using various paintbrushes will be the tool used
- Onsite painting to last for 5 days – so can have up to 5 sessions, one per day
- All mural students must work from ground level and have suitable clothing for painting, being aware that they could get paint on their clothes (more than likely)
- Artwork outline will be provided, we will be working from a mural design that has been through a design process in collaboration with the main organisers. There can be some flexibility to this as to give students some of the ownership to the end painted mural
The overall feedback from the community was very supportive of the new mural.
I really appreciate your approach to working with the community, as it has that place making / community development vibe that helps build the capacity of the community. Thank you for the feedback and look forward to working with you again.Casey Armstrong – Community Development Officer
Take me back to: Mural Workshops